View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #189
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
So, I'm more inclined, if we are going to consider Tom as a creator in his works, to think that Tom just might be Tolkien himself in his works.
Nice theory, and nice arguments! There may even be anagrammatic evidence to support it. If we take the name TOM BOMBADIL and eliminate from it all the letters it doesn't have in common with JOHN RONALD TOLKIEN, we're left with... er...
MBMB.
Er. Wait. MBMB???
Oh well... I guess it was worth a try...
*prays for the earth to swallow him*

Seriously though, I've always loved the Ginger & Fred passage, especially since I've got married myself. Maybe the only example in Tolkien's works (or one of two - I just remembered Sam and Rosie) of a happy and working marriage on an everyday level we mortal hobbits can relate to. Yes, I can easily see that this is what T. wished his own marriage to be like - though maybe not what it actually was like in their later years.
MayBe MayBe...