View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #568
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

Ędegard had begun to fear that Nethador would push him away or worse. He was grateful for Bella's aid, comforted by the press of her chilly hand on his shoulder, under his good hand. It came as a relief when Nethador placed his hand on top of his own. To his surprise, he found that Nethwador's hand was warm. His own were .... no .... his own was cold from the chill in the air. He raised his head and dared to look Nethwador in the eye, and saw that the boy's face worked with a mix of hope and fear and doubt. Ędegard smiled for him. A fleeting smile passed across the boy's lips, then the Nethador jerked his hand away, seeming to be still unsure of Ędegard. It would have to do for now. What had passed between them was more than he had dared to hope.

"Thank you, Bella," he said through a tight throat, and released her hand. She smiled for him, and he stood to go back to Leafa. He noticed Ravion kneeling over Mellondu. He was awake! Ędegard looked to Leafa with wide eyes, telling her with his glance how his heart rose. She smiled but remained where she was. Ędegard went to Ravion and Mellondu.

"What did she say?" Mellon was asking Ravion, staring at him with fevered eyes.

"Good morning, Mellon! How do you fare?"

Ravion's mouth had been open to reply, then he turned to Ędegard, looking at him almost with relief.

"Good morning, Ędegard," Mellon said. "I fear I am not well."

"You have been pushing yourself too hard, my friend. I am glad that you are yourself again."