View Single Post
Old 07-03-2002, 12:00 PM   #32
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Idril had crossed over to the Star to speak with Child and Mithadan. Everywhere, there was confusion. Bird and Pio were attempting to control the helm which had broken loose again. Rose was cleaning up the billious pool which Angara had deposited on deck. And Veritas cradled the dragon in her arms as she led him away.

Kali stood by, whispering, "I, Kali, knew ship did not want to sail west.! Stories tell. Bad things happen."

Idril shook her head, and went over to Child and Mithadan.

"Child, look at me. Do you understand what is happening? Look within and say." Child looked up, and then said, "It is as if the ship itself feared to continue, as if she holds some secret warning for us."

"And, the dragon Angara, everyone believes she is stubborn, but I think not. I have looked in her eyes. Angara fears much. She is afraid where we go. One time, I heard her whisper that she fears to meddle in the affairs of the Valar or of Eru."

Idril bent down, and looked Child in the face. "And you, Child, are you afraid? For some fear is wisdom, rather than folly."

Child replied, "I am still uncertain where we travel, but part of me does fear. Last night, I dreamed and saw a vision."

"It showed things I do not understand. For we follow a perilous path but one of great worth. And this dream said that the hobrim's cousins must be rescued from a terrible fate, and it was right for us to do so."

"But the dream carried warnings. First, that the evil sleepers under the falling hills must not be awakened, for they sleep until the Day of Doom. And secondly, we must creep in and out like the small hobbits that we are. Just as Bilbo and Frodo did, we must go in silence and stealth, for none of the great ones, especially the lord of evil, must be given warning about the existence of hobbits or hobrim.

"For, since the Music itself began, it was decreed that hobbits be a silent folk. And should that silence be broken, great wrong would come. For no Ringbearers could have stolen quietly into Mordor and there would have been no saving of the world."

"My dream.....the vision said if we tangle with the web of time, we may pull a thread we do not know. And we must guard against that, even if we see sadness that tears at our hearts. For some sadness was woven into the world by the Valar and Eru. And it must be so for the greater good. Only the Stoors may we rescue."

Idril continued, "Child, you may go now, for I must speak with him who controls your vessel. But, promise me, you will try to follow the path laid out in your dream. For, if you do, the ship shall sail true, and your dragon's heart will laugh again. For she is old and wise and undersands these perils better than you."

"I promise," Child whispered, and she left.

"And now, Mithadan, you and I must speak. Do you understand what I ask? I must have your word that, wherever you sail, you will remain obedient to the light. You may rescue the hobrim's cousins but do not interfere with the plans of the Great Ones, even if you see suffering. Can you follow such a course? And beyond this, I can offer no aid."

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]