View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #182
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
In that case, the idea of 'pity Oscars' does seem to apply. It was like ROTK wasn't awarded for the great movie that it was, (even as a standalone it still would have deserved an oscar) but to provide a 'happy ending' to these LOTR years. Do you get my point?
Good point Evisse. But I'm not sure it is exactly this. People voted for their 'best' in each section. For most of them, why shouldn't it win? What else was there on offer that could compare, especially when you see probably 99% of all reviews were good that ROTK got?

It all boils down to the fact that ROTK was not a Hollywood made movie. It was made in New Zealand. But another fact was that it was American MONEY that made it possible, and therefore made a lot of Americans Profit.

Did Titanic get this amount of derision we're seing (also in some of the English press as well I've noted) when it won 11 Oscars? The only thinig I remember from that year was Cameron's "I'm King of the World" quote that got some negative feedback, but other than that, as it was an American movie, wasn't it well received?

Quote:
And c'mon -- Barry Osborne is the one who started that whole bit!
Yes I know. NEVER try to upstage a comedian. But Barry's parting shot was meant in good faith, whereas Billly Crystal's retort was unpleasent.

Look, I'm not having a go at the oscar show itslef. I thought it was pretty good. the introduction was well done (but then it should have been for $250k!) and the jokes, especially the Bush ones, were funny, but (and I'm repeating myself I know), my feelings are that Mr Crystal went over the top the amount of times he took the mick (the same way again and again).

You should have seen the baftas. even with Steven Fry, they were SOOOOOOO boring compared to the Oscars.

Rant over (for now!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote