View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #166
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
gandalf MUST help him as he says himself
Quote:
Well, I must come, since no other help can reach him. But evil and sorrow will come of this.
He 'had no time' until Pippin explained the situation fully and Gandalf realised clearly what was happening.

It's another example of Sacrifice that tolkien introduces. The first few times I read the book as a kid I fretted over his decision, but as I grew up, I finally came to terms with it. No one else could help Faramir, so Gandalf felt duty bound to do so.

I compare this (although loosely) with the view a get when I see trauma teams working in hospitals (via documentaries/films etc). You see literally dozens of people fighting to save one person's life. Now this person could be a low life, nasty, good for nothing wretch, but their DUTY is to save him. It brings a warm feeling to my heart to know we have such dedicated people in the real world.

This is how I feel towards Gandalf as he leaves the WK to his own devices, and turns to save the heir of the Steward. I no longer feel any nagging doubts towards Gandalf as he pursues this aim, and forgoes his battle with the WK. I admire his stance, even though, as he says, sorrow will come of it. - Perhaps he could have saved Thedoen if he followed the WK, but then again, perhaps not....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote