View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
"In comparison" maybe, but had I seen it without ever seeing the film of LotR I'd probably have thought it awesome - as it was, I found it a fab film, very enjoyable (apart from the WWII inaccuracies...).

There's the thing though, just about anything, whether book or film, in the fantasy genre will always be compared to Lord of the Rings and just about anything will be found lacking "in comparison".....which is exactly why people like Philip Pullman feel they need to be especially vocal in disassociating from Tolkien.
Therein lies the problem - they tried to make it like LOTR. They filled it with weapons, monsters, armies, CGI and battle sequences and it didn't really work because that's just not what Lewis had in mind when he wrote the story. Lewis was not writing a grand, edge-of-your-seat epic, he was writing a child's fairy tale. As it is you're left with a fairly generic fantasy film about good vs evil - relatively entertaining and enjoyable for a family night in maybe, but not really much else.