View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #55
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Both are women confined within their realms who wish to do more.
In Aredhel’s case the “more” did not rise above the level of being able to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. I’m afraid I cannot consider this to be a particularly noble motive that is worthy of any great consideration when compared to the safety of a kingdom.

Quote:
Defiant she may be, but Turgon has no moral 'right' to keep his people from leaving Gondolin.
I find this statement rather inexplicable and absurd. (Well, in a certain way. I’m pretty sure I know why you would say something like this, but I’ll not try to put words in your mouth). Turgon was the king. Not only that, his followers followed him of their own free will. You will have to explain why Turgon has no moral right to rule his own kingdom.

Quote:
the latter only seeks to needlessly confine
Needless? If she hadn’t wanted to go to Gondolin she shouldn’t have gone. It seems you missed the “Don’t you know we’re at war?” bit.

Quote:
Attempting to keep a body of people in confinement was a doomed venture from the outset. Either you insist that people stay and become a despot and little better than a prison warder to a body of people who have committed no crime, or you let them leave if they wish and face the very real risk that they will reveal the location of this hideout. Either way, you are going to lose.
Indeed, they shouldn’t have left Valinor in the first place. However, I fail to see why this is relevant to the discussion of whether Turgon did his best.

Quote:
An Elf faced with a superior power who have come to dominate his home, who has lost his wife and child, it is not surprising that he reacted as he did.

-and-

Eol is then put to death, which although being wrong, even in terms of Tolkien's world, is also inevitable.
This is true, but this does not change the fact that he committed murder. I cannot entirely agree that his fate was wrong in terms of Tolkien’s world.

Quote:
Does it make any difference that he "hid" in Gondolin in response to a directive from Ulmo?
Apparently not because I already asked about this and didn’t get an answer.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 06-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote