View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Most of the moderators seem to clique together.... But the moderators are in danger of becoming this big, omnipotent power who is unconnected.
This is patently untrue and unfair, Aman.

I started Ride to the Dark Side as a game specifically for the intermediate gamers in Rohan, and it was not invitation only, but audition, and I did't refuse anyone. I was the only moderator on the game, which included regulars from both Rohan and The Shire, and brought in gamers from outside the Downs, although it did bring in two cameos from a mod and an admin for a bit of extra fun and suspense.

I am in two other games in Rohan, My Crow Management and Rohan, plus I run The White Horse, and there's a fair bit of behind the scenes PMing there, as well as work helping people develope their own proposals. (My other two games are in Gondor, Castle Maladil, which my character withdrew from because essentially her role was finished, and Revenge of the Entish Bow.) I spend much time trying to get to know the new gamers. That's alot of writing, with my RL committments.

Castle Maladil in Gondor includes a mix of gamers from all three realms. Revenge of the Entish Bow has brought in people who have not gamed here before, Squatter, Kuruharan, and Diamond.

Pio and Sharon and Gandalf work extensively in The Shire in games there, not just in Gondor. They are so busy there providing what is essentially an education in how to game that they have little time to write for their own games.

Nor have I ever deleted or edited posts silently; if I see weaknesses in writing or gaming, I address them privately through PMs. I go out of the way to be encouraging, polite and respectful and I always try to find something positive to say. Nor do I make decisions arbitrarily, but always on the basis of what is the need of the particular game according to the standards of writing for Rohan.

It's challenging learning how to game co-operatively, but at least here at the Downs the moderators are willing to help explain things and not just delete or ignore. I don't know any other site where that kind of help is available to inexperienced gamers.

Bethberry