View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #31
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Let me just start by saying that this tread has been an absolute joy to read through!

Love it, love it, love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Message 1 probably arrives at Lugbúrz on this day (if it was ever sent); Sauron probably kills the messenger, because who wants to hear 'we've caught a prisoner' after already knowing that everyone's dead?
Why would he kill a messenger for bringing outdated news? That seem like an over the top hollywood bad guy move. Sauron is clearly not bothered about loosing a few orcs if it serves a tactical or strategic purpose (keeping Shelob fed being the best example), but there is little to indicate that he kills randomly due emotional instability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Is Gandalf actually wearing Narya at this point? (Same question for Galadriel and Elrond.) It seems like, if you'd just sent the One into Mordor, and knew that Sauron could access all your thoughts in an instant with it if he captured it, taking your own Ring off would be the logical first step.

Doing a quick trawl for ' ring ' in RotK, there are only six mentions of the word in such a context prior to Book Six, and all are talking about the One. Nothing to prove Gandalf is still wearing Narya.

In fact, as Pervinca Took says, there is ample reason to believe he wasn't:

'While Frodo was still free'. Gandalf's concern was most definitely that Frodo had been captured; he thought that Sauron's movements indicated that he had reclaimed the Ring. It was only after he heard the timing from Faramir that he figured out what had happened:

It says a lot about Gandalf's intelligence that he immediately 'solved the case' like this. But what it also says is that he doesn't know the status of the Ring for certain.

There's only really two options here:

-That Gandalf is not wearing Narya, which I think would have to be for safety reasons.
-That he thinks Sauron might refrain from putting the Ring on until the crucial moment.

One final hint at the first option:

I've always placed the emphasis here on 'openly'... but is it possible that 'wore' is just as significant?
I see no reason to believe that the three was not in use. The rings give power according to the stature of the wearer, and we have no way of knowing the exact nature of this power.When Celebrimbor perceives Sauron, there is an important element of treachery, I cannot help but to think that this is key in Celebrimbor perceiving Sauron (this is not backed by any written sources). My point is that I don't believe that just because you wear one of the elven rings, you will automatically be aware if Sauron comes in possesion of the one ring. Tolkien's magic tends not resemble the laws of physics and be somewhat erratic.

Most importantly: Samwise does not see Galadriel's ring, yet she is clearly wearing it and weidling its power. It also seems like it would be prudent to use the power of Nenya in the effort to protect Lothlorien from Sauron's forces.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote