View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #298
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Morien bustled into the Inn, bearing two sacks of flour on his shoulders. After depositing them by the kitchen door he turned toward the bar and withdrew a handkerchief from his pocket which he used to wipe the sweat from his brows. Even as he turned away, a grey-clad server issued from the kitchen and almost noiselessly lifted the sacks and carried them through the kitchen door.

Sitting at the bar, Morien sighed as a tall mug of ale appeared before him. He drained half of it in a single draught before he placed it back down on the burnished wood. He did not have to look to know that the bar was being wiped as he turned away and the mug was being placed upon a coaster by one of the servitors. At that moment Rimbaud entered. Morien waved him over with a smile.

Still a bit too thin, Morien thought as Rimbaud approached the larger, bearded man. That'll change soon enough though. He's certainly been through enough. "Have you heard when the shipment of Dorwinion Red will arrive?" asked Rimbaud. Morien, or Blacky as he was better known, shook his head. "The traders are a week and more overdue," he answered. "I hope naught's gone awry. I've heard tell of trouble with the Easterlings, again."

Rimbaud scowled, then shrugged. "I'm sure it will arrive soon enough, accompanied by a passle of excuses," the Innkeeper replied. "And what news from the upper circles of the city?"

Morien slapped a hand on his forehead. "Oh, sorry!" he cried. "One thing drives out another as they say. I've a message for you! Should've given it to you before I cooled my throat and numbed my head!"

He handed a scroll over to Rimbaud, who broke the seal, unrolled it and read its contents. A smile appeared upon his face and he stood and walked to the end of the bar, where he posted the scroll upon the wall. "An important announcement!" he cried with a flourish. The guests and regulars rose and crowded about to read the words printed upon the parchment in bold letters. The announcement read as follows:

Quote:
The Seventh Star and the Lords and Council of Gondor hereby welcome and extend their courtesies, respects and congratulations to CUTHALION who has been named on the roles posted in the Tower of Ecthelion as an adventurer admitted to practice his trade in the Realm of Gondor.