View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #322
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Dulrain

Although Dulrain was relieved that Benia was no longer in the hands of the Revennor of Mordor he knew that she was not in any less danger. Barrold was a villain know for both his violent behaviour and his womanising and Toby was quick to point out both usually came hand in hand much to the horror of Miss Banks. “If he so much as lay’s a hand on her….so help me I will…”Gilly fumed angrily. The same thoughts passed though the rangers mind as he pushed the hobbits on through the predawn mist the trail was growing fresher with each minute.

“They can’t be to far ahead now!” Toby whispered as Dulrain again stooped to examine the muddy prints.

“No not far we should be able to see them soon!” He answered looking up at the hobbit.

“Look there!” Gilly whispered pointing straight ahead, her eyes straining to make out the shape of the shadows ahead.

“There coming this way!” Toby gasped, drawing forth the jewel hilted sword that Miss banks had given him back in Rivendell. But Dulrain had remained still his eyes also straining to make the figures running…. Suddenly without warning he leaped up and raced forward as he realised that the first figure was defiantly being chased by the latter.

“Benia!” he heard Gilly gasp as the figure trying to escape their pursuer stumbled and was brought crashing hard onto the ground. Dulrain’s anger grew as the domineering figure that he now could see was Barrold Ferny held Benia pinned to the ground. Both Toby and Gilly flinched as the brute struck Benia a right handed blow across her face but Dulrain did not it only fuelled him more and he now sprinted towards Benia his sword in his hands.

“I’m coming!” he whispered through grated teeth as Barrold again overpowered her pinning her to the ground, but even as he rose his hand to strike her another blow Dulrain dived at him knocking him hard to the ground.

As the stunned villain struggled to rise Dulrain chanced a glance at Benia to check that she was alright, “Look out!” she hoarsely whispered her eyes wide with fear, Dulrain turned just in time to see Barrold arms raised ready to strike him with a thick branch he must have found in the long grass. Quickly he side stepped avoiding the blow and as the branch hit the ground shattering in half he moved to kick Barrold under the ribs. However seeing him move Barrold guessed his intent and swung the remainder of the branch upwards and round catching the ranger hard across the ribs. Dulrain grunted and stumbled back a few paces as the pain shot across his side, catching his breath he heard the shouts of Mrs Banks.

“Stay away from her you brute… I’m warning you!” she yelled, unsteadily waving Benia’s heavy sword at the approaching villain. “Get outta ma way!” Barrold snarled easily side stepping the hobbits unbalanced stroke, striking her hard across the face with the back of his hand as she struggled again to raise the heavy weapon knocking her to the ground. But before Dulrain could get to them Barrold had dragged Benia up by her hair and now stood behind her using her as a shield, his face pressed closely to her left cheek.

“Did ye miss me sweet ‘art” he whispered licking the side of her cheek as he watched the ranger advance.

Dúlrain face was red with anger as he rush toward the disgusting brute, but he stopped short as he caught the flash of metal under Benia’s chin.

“That’s it boyo‘, don’t yer be thinking o’ coming any closer. The lady’s mine see, so you’ll just be puttin’ down yer weapons if you don’t wanna see ’er hurt.” Barrold grinned menacingly, pulling Benia tighter to him. “You too Missy!” he hissed at Gilly tightening the blade to Benia’s throat, so that a small trickle of dark red blood ran down the blade.

“No Don’t !” Gilly pleaded throwing the cumbersome weapon to the ground, “Come on now boy’o!” Barrold warned turning back to the ranger, Dulrain hesitated for a moment as he stared towards Benia. Then as tears streamed down her olive cheeks he slowly set down his sword. “And the rest Barrold barked!” Dulrain had no choice but to do as he said so he slowly unfastened his belt and let it drop to the ground.

“Now where it the little rat!” Barrold spat looking all about him. In all the commotion Dulrain had completely forgot about Toby , he glanced at Gilly but she only shrugged indicating that she did not know where the hobbit had gone to.

“Come on now where is he!” Barrold bark impatiently, “I know ’e was with you!” It was then that Dulrain noticed the grass moving not far from where Barrold stood. “I don’t know, He probably ran off somewhere,” he quickly answer at Barrold was about to turn in the direction of the shifting grass. “Yes, the stinking coward that he is!” Gilly quickly added also seeing the unnatural sway in the long grass and realising what Dúlrain was doing.

“Heh never trust a thief Ranger they only think o’ themselves!” Barrold laughed mockingly, but as he laughed Dulrain widened his eyes then looked down Indicating to Benia to be ready, she blinked her amber eyes once to indicate that she understood. “Your sword!” Gilly whispered out of the side of her mouth. Dulrian looked down and shook his head he could never get to it in time. “Not that one, in your pack!” she whispered. It was then that he remembered seeing it in his pack, Gilly must have lifted it in the glade, he had meant to loss it again in the cave but had not had the time and was now glad that he had not for it was now going to come in handy.

“Hey! What yer up too!” Barrold snapped as Dulrain slowly raised his right hand over his head. “We’re going to catch you eventually Ferny!” Dulrain said calmly “So you might as well give up and let her go!” Gilly added “And we will settle this little matter here and now, you and me man to man!”

“Not Bloody likely!” Barrold spat taking a step back, “I’ll do it, I’ll kill ’er if I have too!” Barrold warned again. Too late he heard something behind him but before he could turn round Toby had sunk the jewelled companion sword into the back of the villains left thigh.

With a scream of pain Barrold loosened his grip on Benia who instantly pulled away from him into Dulrain’s strong arms, he gently squeezed her and kissed her forehead before passing her into the care of her hobbit friend while he went to the aid of a brave Mr Longholes.

Toby

Enraged that his prize had gotten away Barrold turned on Toby “Why you snivelling ungrateful little rat!” he grunted pulling the blade from his leg and advancing on the unarmed halfling, his left leg dragging a little as blood poured from the wound. “I gave yer friendship when no-one else would and this is ‘ow yer repay me!”

“Pfft Friendship is that what you call it!” Toby scoffed stepping back a few paces, “ I was useful to you that’s all, you have no idea what true friendship is and to be honest neither did I until recently” and as he spoke his gaze drifted passed Barrold to the hobbit woman and her friend to make sure they were alright. This momentary lapse was all that Barrold needed, with a fisted right hand he punched Toby across the jaw. Warm blood filled his mouth as he fell to the ground and several of his teeth had been knocked loose.

“Bwhahahaha yer right yer were useful to me !” Ferny laughed over him as he tried to scramble away on his hands and knees, determined to draw the villain away from the two women. “And now I ‘ave no use fer a treacherous back stabbing little worm! ” he spat raising the jewelled blade as Toby looked back. He tried to roll out of the path of the oncoming blade, but yelled out as the blade sunk deep into his left shoulder pinning him helplessly to the ground. “Toby!” He heard a woman’s voice scream as the world around him turned suddenly hazy , blinking hard he could still make out the dark outline of Ferny looming over him, but even as the pain overcame him and he slipped into unconsciousness another shadow Broad sided the villain sending him stumbling sideways.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-07-2005 at 04:13 PM.