View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I agree with Mith that The Hobbit existed long before the films and the story itself isn't going to be "damaged" by anything the film does or does not do.

Whether the Tolkien brand might be damaged by poor films...maybe in the eyes of pop culture. But pop culture is fickle, shallow, vulgar, and for the most part rather vile. I'm not sure I'd want my worth to be measured by such a thing anyway. Also, if Tolkien stays in the spotlight, its probably inevitable that pop culture will turn against him eventually anyway because it is fickle and one of its defining characteristics is getting sick of and turning on whatever has been the "it" thing for too long.

Tolkien's stories have weathered such storms before and I have no doubt will have to again in the future.