View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 03:39 PM   #769
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird reached out and pulled the sobbing Halfling down on the bench by the tank, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. “There, now, Rose,” she said “ I know. I’m afraid, too. Been afraid ever since Gondolin, I guess. And having Pio back, glad as I am about that, has not eased that fear.“

“Killing Orcs was one thing. It’s like killing bugs. But now it’s Men we’re up against. Some of them may be evil. Some just misguided and foolish. But I do know they‘ll fight, And fight hard. I don’t know if their hearts will be in it or not. I know mine‘s not.“

But we made a promise to see this through, and I can‘t go back on that promise. I don’t think you can, either. So we’ll just have to watch out for each other and do our best, until this is all over. I’m no good at all the planning and prepping. I have to leave those things to Mithadan, Child, and Pio. But I’m pretty good at getting myself out of scrapes. So I’ll watch your back, if you watch mine.”

At that moment Buttercup, seeking another seaweed handout, gave Rose a mighty bump with her head, almost knocking the Hobbit off the bench. Rose burst out laughing through her tears, and reached out to scratch the grey, whiskery face.

“Hey, she likes you!“ laughed Birdie. She reached for some more greenery and handed it to the sea-cows. “There’s one thing I have to disagree with you on though, Rose“, said the skin-changer, “I love the 'Lonely Star'. And the Sea. I’ll never be tired of them.“

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]