View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 08:42 PM   #79
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Star had moved just beyond the waters of the bay after the rescue of the hobbrim and hobbits. Pio swam a great distance, toward the middle of the bay, to a point about ten miles off shore. She paused to get her bearings and then kicked her way deeply beneath the waves.

She remembered a certain place that Levanto had described to her, and she thought now to look for him there. Her eyes picked out the rocky formation, and she made for it. She entered into the grotto, and found him sleeping there, a long strand of seaweed wrapped about his torso to secure him in place as the gentle currents washed over him.

She unwrapped the tether, and kissed him softly on his cheek. When he awoke, she took his hand and brought him to the surface. He grinned at her. 'You've come to your senses! You've left him!!'

Pio laughed and shook her head 'no'. 'I've come to ask a favor of you.' She told him what had happened concerning the finding of the hobbrim, the rescue of Angara, the search ships, and the scrutiny of Gorthaur.'

'I have spent much time below these past days. I did not know of these happenings.' He paused for a moment, thinking. 'But now it comes to me why the waters seemed troubled, as if a shadow had passed through them.' He looked at her. 'What is it you wish of me, Pio?'

'I need to have information of the number of ships bearing the plain, black banner of Gorthaur that now patrol along this coastline.' She swept her pointing hand from west to east. 'Or if you have noted any such ships now patroling the River Siril.'

'The whole coastline? and the river? That will be a daunting task, even for me.' he said, thinking out loud. 'Perhaps I can enlist the aid of some of the creatures I have met here. Yes, I think I can do it in that way.' He leaned toward her, his brow slightly furrowed. 'You're being very cautious, this time, aren't you?'

'I cannot afford this time to be careless or caught by surprise.' she said, her face grave.

'And why is that? I never knew Piosenniel to be so bound by caution.'

'There is much relying on this caution.' she answered him. But he pressed her for her reasons, and she relented, drawing him near.

Her explanation was short, and given in a serious tone. He drew back from her, regarding her with a measure of surprise.

'And you have not . . . tol . . .?' he asked, holding her gaze with his own. She shook her head 'no'.

'Only Angara knows. And she will keep the secret. Will you?'

'But, why?'he pressed her, again.

'Because I must be there, in that first boat, for the transfer to work. I cannot be left behind.'

He made the promise, though reluctantly, and told her he would see her tomorrow to give her his findings.

'Thank you, my friend.' she said, then bid him goodbye and swam swiftly back toward the ship, hoping against hope that no one had missed her.

Mithadan sat in a chair next to the barrel on which she had laid her clothes. The quiet time spent looking north over the waters had not improved his temperament. He held her bundle of clothes on his lap, and waited for her return.

She climbed quietly over the railing and made for the barrel. Her eyes grew wide when she saw him sitting there. She approached him, and stood before him, dripping.

'Are you looking for these?' he asked,rising to his feet, his face unsmiling.

She rubbed her arms to drive away the chill. 'My cloak, at least, if you please.' she answered him. Water dripped from her hair to her bare shoulders, and she shivered. 'Please, Mithadan, I am cold.'

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]