View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think a very amusing occasion was when our dad was reading the chapter The Stairs in Cirith Ungol and she was scared and asked Dad to stop reading just a little while before Frodo says: 'You and I, Sam, are stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: "Shut the book now, dad; we don't want to read anymore."' It was amazing.
Being the dad mentioned I do agree with your verdict Lommy. Hilarious indeed.

But you were scared as well at least in the beginning Lommy. Do you remember when we read the part where the hobbits leave old Maggot's table and are getting nearer the Brandywine crossing... and then there's the smog and the approaching clatter of a horse... A Little Green was not the only one who was screaming...

~*~

My father started reading the LotR to me in the beginning of the 70's when it was translated to Finnish but he never finished it so I read it by myself a little later (after first reading a translation of the Hobbit which was heavily abridged and turned into a children's story with funny names etc.). I quess I was something like 9 then when I finally read the LotR, that being in the middle of the 70's.

I knew no one else who knew anything about Tolkien or his world. But it made it's mark to my games and fantasies. But I turned back to the works only when I was something like 15-16, in the 80's that is. Then I read the Silmarillion and later found out the UT - and I reread the LotR & Hobbit unabridged a couple of times in both Finnish and English. And there I was. Finally totally fascinated.

But I think I never made it to the "official fan level" as there were no others around to discuss it - except my then girlfriend (Lommy's and A Little Green's mom) who in the end wasn't as affected as I was. Quite the only discussions I actually had were with my mom who used to study mythologies and religions and we discussed the Silm a few times when I was a young adult (around 20 something).

Then I kind of forgot Tolkien for years going to the university and then to work to bring home the bacon for a then born family with two kids. And it was only when those kids saw a clip from Bakshi's animation that it all came back.

With Lommy and A Little Green I've myself gotten Tolkien back as well. First reding all that stuff to them as bedtimestories (yes we did read all: Hobbit, LotR, Silm, the UT) then playing table-RPG's with them after the divorce, coming up with our own ME inspired games and plays, waiting for the movies together, discussing them and eventually Lommy managing to speak me over to join the BD.

I don't know what to say. I do not consider myself a fan of anything as I find the idea of fandom quite alien to me (well, I could be a fan of goodness, joy, world-peace etc.) but I do love Tolkien's work and even more his world.

Just beware. One day I will actually find the time to read all those books over once again and not just check a thing or two from there to whatever purpose I need them. After that I will be flooding the threads...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote