View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Marvelous stuff. Whatever you got wrong, PJ, you got the ending right. You finished brilliantly well.

Note that Gollum's reappearance surely can't be meant to surprise anyone. No one in their right mind, however ignorant, would believe he died when he went over the edge. I'm glad the filmmakers didn't try to shock the audience with it; it would have fallen flat.

Frodo running up Mount Doom . . . brilliant. Nothing like a little adrenaline to get you up into Sammath Naur.

I am just so pleased with the way the Cracks of Doom scene is played. It could have been a disaster, if Frodo had been portrayed as intentionally pushing Gollum over the edge. I suppose you could still look at it that way, but to me it's clear that like Gollum, all he cares about is regaining the Precious.

Back in Morannon, it's a great moment when the Eagles show up, and Pippin gets to deliver Bilbo's immortal line, just like in the book. Note that when the troll knocks Aragorn down, Viggo looks directly into the camera for a split second. Wonder if that was intentional. Legolas, who was ready with a rope to save his Ranger friend at Helm's Deep, can't get to him now. Clearly PJ's way of saying, The only thing that can save him is what's happening over at Orodruin.

The expressions on the Companions' faces as they witness the crumbling of Mordor is perfect. Gandalf's lips push up in an expression of pride. Aragorn seems to be going through shock and awe. And Merry triumphantly hails the impossible achievement of his cousin. And then, the looks change as the mountain boils over. Perfect.

More great acting from Elijah Wood now that the Ring is destroyed. Well, Sean Astin too, but Elijah brings to mind the words from the book where it talks about how Frodo's burden had been lifted from him. You can truly see a difference in the way he carries himself, the way he talks.

Oh, and, dare I mention it again? The score is brilliant throughout.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote