View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #225
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio laughed out loud at his suggestion. 'You are a wicked man, Mithadan!' she cried, lobbing the apple core at his head. He dodged it, and it splattered against the door to their room with a loud thunk.

'And why would you say that, Pio?' A catlike smile played about his lips, as he moved to her left and returned the volley. A single, flying fig whizzed past her ear and pasted itself on the bulkhead behind her.

She stood on the bed, using a pillow as a shield and fired several crusts of bread at his chest, hoping to hit that broader, though still quickly moving, target.

The pillow muffled her reply. 'Think about it! Who will the crew blame for dragging you off on some rash and dangerous mission. And being sneaky about it to boot!' Her "shield" took two soft hits as the returned bready missiles hit it. She peeked round it and grinned. 'Not steadfast, clear thinking, Captain By-the-Book Mithadan!'

He had approached closer, as she hoped he would. 'You must admit you've earned the title, Elf.' he laughed.

Just one step closer, she thought, fixing him with an innocent look. He moved in closer, an appraising look in his eye.

'Sneaky Pio, it is then!' she cried and swung the pillow hard at him, hitting him squarely on the chest. The seams of the pillow strained at the impact and burst apart. Feathers flew wildly about the room.

Pio laughed hysterically as he leapt at her and bore her down beneath him. 'Get off me, you great oaf!' she yelled, at the now laughing Man.

At that moment, the door burst open, and a concerned Cami entered,breathlessly. 'Pio! Are you alright! I heard yelling and sounds like fighting!'

'You should ask, rather, if I'm alright, Cami.' said Mithadan, standing up to greet her, brushing feathers all the while from his hair and clothes. 'I was the first to be attacked. I only sought to defend myself.' Pio giggled at his protests and he threw the other pillow at her.

Cami stood, now, with her hands on her hips, surveying the shambles of the room. A lone feather threatened to land on her face, and she blew it away. A smile crept into the corners of her mouth, and then she too was laughing with them. A few moments later, she wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes, and shook her head. 'The Star needs more of this.' she said, quietly. 'We have all missed it! Thank you, both of you!'

Pio got up from the bed and gave her friend a great hug. She looked up at Mithadan, who had come to stand near her, a questioning look in her eyes. He nodded his assent and pulled a chair near the bed for Cami to sit on. The Elf and Man seated themselves on the edge of the bed.

'I know you tried to talk to me earlier, Cami, about your going to be with the hobbits on Númenor. And I'm sorry I did not take your concerns seriously, and did not hear you out. You know that I went to see the outlay of the prison, and while I was there I had a chance to meet with a number of hobbits who will be leading the efforts on their side when we come to rescue them. One of them was Loremaster. He reminded me that in their history it is said that when the days are dark and hope grows dim that Nitir and Azra will come back to them, and hope will be renewed.'

She took her friend's hands in hers. 'He wants you to come, Cami. And I vowed that I would bring you.'

Cami looked at Pio in wonder and delight. 'How will you do this?' she asked.

In general terms, so as not to alarm her, Mithadan told her briefly that they would secure a ship which Pio had already scouted, and sail under cover of night to a place near the prison. From there, they would walk in, along a poorly guarded side path, and make their way to where Bird and Loremaster would meet them. Levanto would be sent ahead to give them warning of their arrival. Once there Cami and Rose, along with Mithadan and Pio, would meet with the hobbits' planning group. Then they must leave and go back to the Star.

Pio looked at her friend closely as she took in what Mithadan had told her. She saw a certain look of resolve slide across her features. The Elf laughed a little, then sighed, and hugged her friend once again.

'You will not be coming back with us, will you?'

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]