View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 08:38 AM   #500
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The faint strains of Elven song drifted lazily over the hobbits as the tiny campfires burned lower, until only glowing cinders and smouldering ash were left. Cami walked slowly about the campsite, tugging blankets over sleeping children, and bending down to kiss their curly heads.

In the dim reflection of flickering embers, she could just make out the forms of Phura and Gamba. The two had pulled their sleeping tarp to a secluded niche under the protective arms of a great oak tree. Gamba's face looked strained even in sleep, with his hand clutched tightly about his brother's waist.

Cami went over to the pair and noticed that the older boy was still awake. Phura met her eyes and whispered, "He never left my side, not even when the Elves came." A grimace passed over his features as he stared towards his brother, who had begun to toss about in restless dreams.

Cami knelt and placed her hand on Phura's shoulder, trying to reassure him. "There's nothing I can do to make this easy. But I promise to stay near through the good and the bad. He'll find his way. I'm sure. And I'll do everything I can to help."

"Please believe I'm grateful," Phura begged. "He doesn't belong on Meneltarma. I know that now. But it's hard. Not just for us, but other families as well."

He stared fixedly at Cami, looking for an answer. "This battle against the darkness has taken its toll. So much separation and so many deaths, and yet so much joy and promise. It's difficult to understand, no matter how much lore or learning you have..."

Cami reached over and, with trembling fingers, cradled the boy's hand in her own. "I have no real answer. But I think you have to believe there's some reason behind it, that you're part of a tale that's bigger than yourself, and that your choices make a difference."

"Never forget. You were a steady beacon for your brother. That strength will still be there in his heart, even when your physical presence is far away. Just as he'll be there for you. And someday you will laugh again." She looked upward at the sky with its tiny lights aglitter, like a beckoning portal to another world.

"I hope so," Phura whispered.

Cami fingered the green gemstone that hung silently about her neck, and replied with quiet dignity, "I am certain of it."

Pulling up his blanket, Phura rolled over as Cami rose to leave. She glanced at the far side of the oak and was surprised to spy the lean figure of Legalos standing in the shadows, shifting nervously from one foot to the other. Cami wondered how long he'd been there. He had not approached her the entire day. She was grateful for the Elves' presence at the campsite and their gracious songs and tales, but also realized they would not have shown such courtesy if it had not been for Piosenniel.

The Elf extended his hand to her. "Lady, I am truly sorry. I did not mean to stand here unannounced and hear things meant for other ears. My mind was dwelling on different matters until your words to the boy brought me back. And somehow, then, I could not move."

Cami smiled, "Perhaps you were meant to catch a glimpse of the strange road on which we've travelled. We seek a quiet place to live in Middle-earth, where we can be close to the trees and the soil, and where peril may be kept at bay. I don't know when we will find such a refuge, but we, or our kin, will keep trying till we succeed."

Cami hesitated, then continued. "You are people of deep wisdom, and perhaps find our concerns too small. But for hobbits, things like family and children and food shared around a table bring life and warmth. Once my people had learning and lore, not so great as yours, but enough that it gave them joy."

Her mind ranged back to the hobbit community of Gondolin, with its lyric poetry and sweet hymns to Nienna and Eru. But all that knowledge had faded away, and even the rescue in the Tombs could not make it whole again. "Sadly, much has been stripped from my people by the machinations of the shadow. There is no way to make it return. We must find our own road, one far different than yours, yet still filled with goodness." Cami's voice held quiet sorrow.

The Elf met her eyes and replied, "I will not ask to learn more of your people or their past. Mithrandir has told me but a little and, with that, I will be content."

"Know this. It is not our custom to take other folk along with us. But for the time that you will be on this road, you shall walk beside us and camp near our fires. I would have said this before out of respect for Mithrandir. But now that I realize your folk have carried some hidden burden in the fight against the Enemy, I say it out of respect for them as well."

He bowed his head in acknowledgment. "We will dwell in peace in Greenwood, each going our separate ways. But, perhaps now or in some distant days, a great threat will arise, and we will join together to fight a common foe. Cami Goodchild, I name you Elf-friend, for you are good friend to Piosenniel and your eyes have the look of one who has learned to laugh even in the face of brokeness. On the morrow, we will meet and discuss what path we should take to reach the northern woods."

Cami turned back to the fire, and fought the tears of relief and sorrow that threatened to spill out on her cheeks. She slipped the letter from beneath her belt, where it had lain all day, and held it down to catch the last flicker of light from the dying ash. She could just make out the message, written in Gandalf's strong but graceful script:

Dear Cami,

I had hoped to be present when the hobbits arrived. Alas, that cannot be. I find myself burdened with serious matters requiring immediate attention.

Give my best greetings to Piosenniel, Bird, and Mithadan, for if you have come this far, they must have served you well. I have sent my fellow wizard Radagast to help you. He is a gentle and wise fellow. Cami, do not vex him as you sometimes do, as he is not used to such a sharp tongue.

I have also asked the Woodland Elves to aid you on your journey. Open your heart a bit to Legalos, and you may find him a friend to the hobbits.

Finally, both you and Rose will need ponies to make your rounds teaching and healing your kin. I have secured two steady mounts for this purpose. The grey named Thistle is for Rose, and the chestnut with the silky mane, called Heathertoes, is to be your own. Radagast will deliver them to you.

Please accept this present for the services you have rendered, and that which you must still do. I hope to visit you near the Forest River before the first leaves of autumn fall.

Yours,
GANDALF

Cami smiled and folded the letter, replacing it under her belt. Then she found a small nook not too far from Rose, and soon fell into dreamless slumber.

BIRD'S POST:

"Pay attention!"
The strange, brown-clad wizard's eyes snapped back into focus and he turned his head once more towards the little skin-changer. The morning fog crept down from off the Amon Hen, blocking the sight of the stone watchers there and creeping under Birdie's cloak. She rose from her crouch and stamped her dew-soaked boots, as much in irritation as to warm her feet.

"Did you even hear a word I said?" she snapped.

"Of course," said Radagast, "But do you hear them? The dawn chorus? The voices of the birds? They speak the secrets of all of Middle-earth. One would be wise to listen more to the beasts and fowl of the world, for they are Eru's children, as well."

"I hear them! I hear them! Haven't they been waking me every morning at the crack of dawn since we started this journey upriver? Just once I would wish the Children of Eru to pipe down and wake at a more reasonable hour." she grumbled. "So you will keep watch on them? Cami, and Gamba, and all the rest?"

"Yes, yes," Radagast waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "Haven't I sworn it to you, over and over for the past hour? I will do all in my power to guide them and watch over them."

"And the Elves? You won't let the Elves forget?"

"The Elves never forget, my dear woman. Whether they choose to act is another matter altogether. But I will do my best to keep the Halflings in their thoughts. Though from what you say, they will have other, weightier troubles to occupy them soon."

Bird stood looking down at the damp Wizard, who had tilted his head and raised his eyes to the surrounding trees again. She shook her head in sadness and vexation. She had done all she could, broken a dozen promises not to reveal the course of Time to those of this Age. ("But he's a Wizard! They know all already." she had reasoned to herself.)

But she knew it was no use. Wizards, Elves, Men and all. They would forget. All but one. Perhaps it was meant to be. The only comfort she could give herself was that her cojoling and nagging would hold in Radagast's mind long enough to give Cami's folk some time. Just a little time to learn the way of this world and how to deal with it. That and her Name. It was all the power she had. It was all she could give.

"Listen..." whispered Radagast. "Do you hear?"

Bird turned and walked back down the slope towards the ship. The voices of the bird-folk followed her.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]