View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Ghanberryghan
Pile O'Bones

Ghanberryghan has just left Hobbiton.
Istari and their staves

Now I'm sure this is one of many frequent topics for discussion, but there seems to be several ideas as to the significance of the wizards' staves and how important they were.
Here are the most common I've come across:

1. They serve as conduits for a wizard's power.

2. Merely symbolic of their prowess.

3. Both.

If we look at when Gandalf loses his staff on the bridge of Khazad-dum and falls, he is still able to kill the Balrog (obviously with magic). This must indicate that the staff is not necessary for a wizard to harness his power.

But then again Saruman gets his staff broken and is later described as having "lost all power, save his voice."

Now the clear difference between the two is that lost his staff due to a fight, whereas Saruman lost his due to Gandalf expelling him, and the braking of his staff was supposedly symbolic.
So maybe it's not so much the staff that is important, but more the rank and title of being a wizard that gives them such power.

Introducing....................................
Number 4!!!!!
My idea (and because I lack originality is probably many other people's as well) is that the staff is like a police badge:
A policeman has the power to arrest someone, is able to incapacitate a criminal, etc.
Gandalf lost his staff in a fight, which is the equivalent of a policeman having his badge torn off by a criminal. Thus still leaving him with the powers that he would have even if he had the badge.
Saruman had his staff taken off him by someone of higher authority, which is the same as a policeman being fired. An ex-policeman still knows how to incapacitate someone, and there is nothing stopping them from falsely arresting them, only they would have the law against them (or in this case the Valar).
The use of the word 'power' in the Scouring of the Shire is rather ambiguous, and could actually mean something more like right/justification. Frodo says Saruman has 'lost all power' which if put into an ex-policeman threatening to arrest someone context, could be seen as saying he's not allowed.

So what do you think? Could the staves of the 5 wizards be like police badges?

-PS: an extra question...

When Gandalf states about Saruman that "He has power still, I think, in Orthanc; to resist the Nazgul." Does this emphasize the point that maybe a wizard's power was not drawn from a staff?
Ghanberryghan is offline   Reply With Quote