View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Westerly and all the rest who bring up the point of the "cutting," remember that it said that in Bilbo's tale, which can hardly be counted as 100% accuracy towards the history of Middle Earth. Remembering that the dwarves actually killed king Elu Thingol to get their hands on the Silmaril of Air, their lust for it in ages past could have indicated a basis for a lie, even if it was a completely different clan of dwarves and a completely different Silmaril and situation.

Oh, and those parts the Silmaril's were destined to help play out, well I think they were used to kill the Uruloki (actually the winged fire drakes, not just fire drakes). Earendil's quest killed Ancalagon and Bilbo's destroyed Smaug. Who knows? Maybe Melkor had intended to attack Ulmo's realm as well out of his hatred for the sea and inability to conquer it. Maybe that's where sea serpents came from. The Gargouille, the Gargent Serpent of european legend was powerful enough to compare with those two heavy hitters. But then, it wouldn't be a fire drake would it. Still, maybe in Middle Earth's oceans there were merfolk that had a struggle against some great serpent, and the Silmaril of Maeglin came into play. All just theoretical nonsense, but whatever.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote