View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril Minas Tirith: Mellonin

Mellonin sat back in her chair and gave the thief a stunned look. Moments later tears had filled her eyes, and both hands came up to hide her face.

Ravion and Raefindan exchanged puzzled glances, and Raefindan leaned forward. But before he could ask, she swept towards a window; gazing out, she tried to compose herself, and then she returned to the table, having regained her composure somewhat.

Threatened with slavery or jail, this vagabond's first thought is still towards his sister. And I-- what have I done for my brother? Nothing. Nothing. I am far beneath this thief. At least his love of family is faithful and true. Mine is neither.

Raefindan guessed. "You have had no word. What can you do? Nothing, til you know where he has gone."

Ravion looked up. "Who has gone, lady?"

Tears started afresh and she wiped them away. "Mellondu, my younger brother. He has been missing now for over three weeks. One day after work, he went out, and did not return. He left everything behind except what he was wearing. No one has heard any news."

Ravion frowned. "What does he look like?"

"Very much like me. He worked in the smithy."

Ravion nodded. "So the moonstruck blacksmith is your brother! They say he has departed northward from Edoras."

Mellonin leaped to her feet. "What! Edoras! Where-- how--" Suddenly Ravion had more attention than he wanted. "When? Where did he go? How far away is he? Who told you?" And then her brow furrowed. "Moonstruck? Moonstruck! Who told you that? Why did they say that? What do you mean, moonstruck? Is he all right? He IS all right, isn't he?"

Raefindan reached out one arm and caught Aeron's belt. The lad might keep his promise and he might not, but Mellonin was demanding Ravion's full attention, even if Ravion seemed reluctant to give it. Perhaps his headache was getting worse.

Morien the Innkeeper drew near. "Ranger, if you have news of Mellonin's brother, pray tell us. We share in her concern. What news, friend?"