View Single Post
Old 04-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #18
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Before I go leaping to the left, I had to stop and ask myself "...not what Middle-Earth can do for me, but what can I do for Middle Earth?"

Can I ride a horse? (Badly.) Milk a cow? Weave clothing? Hunt for food? Build my own house? Work with iron? Wood? Clay? Can I do anything at all that would enable me to survive in that environment and contribute to that society? Or would I just be wondering around, with no language and no skills for living. I'd pretty much have to rely on the kindness of strangers. And honey, they don't get any stranger than Middle Earth!

But seriously, I believe that I'm here in this time for some purpose, even if I don't know what that purpose is. For whatever reason, the 20th and 21st centuries are what I have been given (or chose), and I should play with the hand I've been dealt.

And if I'm unhappy or stressed or worried sometimes; well, hey, so were plenty of other people in M-E. Adventures are fun to read about, not always so fun to deal with. And as in our own world, most people were not Elf Lords and kings in the making, but "just folk", who had to live as best they could, no matter what the times might be like.

While M-E might be a great place to visit, I'm never going to live there. So Birdie turns sadly to the right...

Are you sure I just can't take a little peak?

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote