View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #535
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine

There was a knock on Giedd's door. It was late afternoon; Eodwine had left Gudryn with him two hours ago.

"Who could that be?" Giedd asked, to which Gudryn shrugged. Giedd set her dust cloth on the nearest flat surface and went to the door. Opening it, she found Eodwine standing before her, a strange look in his eye. "Good greeting, Master Eodwine. Were you not off to Gondor? Or do you want your daughter with you after all?"

Eodwine shook his head mutely, then licking his seemingly dry lips, said, "Beorctild had it wrong. There was no message to Gondor. May I come in?"

Giedd stepped out of the doorway and let Eodwine pass, her brow creasing. Something was amiss, for the man said less than he meant; that much was clear for his shoulders were hunched and his head lowered in a way that seemed most out of character.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Aye," he nodded, sitting next to Gudryn, "that would be well."

Giedd busied herself with pouring water from her jug into an extra tankard, as Gudryn watched her foster father with signs of fear and worry growing on her face. Giedd handed Eodwine the tankard and broke the silence.

"Is something amiss?"

Eodwine dropped the tankard from his lips and regarded the woman Giedd. "The King has no further need of me for his messages. I am released from my duties."