View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
BY-HL-07: I would prefer the '****' instead of the subheading.

AE-SL-43/44: I was basing it off of the rules of the project:
Quote:
7. Personal aesthetics are not to be used in establishing the actual events in the narrative; all changes and decisions must be justified by the above principles, either:
a) with explicit indication; that is, a text of greater precedence contradicting a text of lesser precedence, or
b) with implicit indication that JRRT almost certainly would have changed/deleted it. But we must base this on some evidence or text from JRRT or CJRT; that is, a text of greater precedence suggesting beyond reasonable doubt a contradiction with a text of lesser precedence, or
c) in cases where two options are given precisely equal validity by the above guidelines, by a majority vote based on personal aesthetics and individual opinions.
My main worry is that this idea of two versions is not built into Tolkien's narrative, it is a function of CT's compilation. Therefore, to give both versions is itself an editorial choice on our part, and I feel we have no real justification for it. If they can be combined then I think that is best, but for 43 I don't think they can be combined. For 44 I think combination works, but if you think we can include the first version as well, then I am open to it. I simply think that giving several alternate versions is not possible within the scope of the project without real justification.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 05-10-2018 at 03:33 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote