View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Oh. Oh, wow. I never even thought of that. That's amazingly tragic.

I think almost everyone would have thought them both dead. Earendil was trying to sail to Valinor, an endeavour which had sunk almost every ship that attempted it; when he didn't come back, the natural assumption would be that he was just the latest casualty. Elwing was last seen leaping off a cliff into the sea; only a crazy person would believe she'd been magically transformed into a bird on the way down.

Of course, the refugees from the Havens would probably assume the twins were dead, too: Tolkien seems to have settled on their names coming from being found at a cave by a waterfall, so it doesn't sound like anyone from the Havens saw them being captured rather than killed (as the previous generation of Doriathrin royal twins had been).

That great love did spring from Maglor's raising of the pair is seen through those very names: the timelines suggest the twins were six at the Third Kinslaying, easily old enough to remember their own names! I'd conjecture that they refused to give their names to Maglor when he found them - he was, after all, the person who'd just destroyed their home, even if they didn't know about their mother yet - and so he coined two nicknames for them. The fact that those nicknames stuck, and were still in use over six thousand years later, tells you how close they must have been.

hS
It is however also the case that, at six, they might not yet have received their mother-names from Elwing; and since among Elves the father-name given at birth was considered private (usually), Elrond and Elros could have been epesse, which frequently became an Elf's everyday name (Gil-Galad, Galadriel, Felagund etc)