View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #44
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Well, if not Marvel, then what about the Harry Potter movies? Surely there are those who would argue (both for and against) about whether each HP movie was true to its book or not.

Regardless, the HP movies are highly rewatchable and curiously focus on the title character, unlike those in the Hobbit trilogy. Wonder if that has something to do with the movies' watchabilities?
That's a good point about the HP not really losing focus.
Also, I can't at the moment recall any characters receiving major re-writes in contradiction to the books, or characters added that never appeared in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Personally I have tried to embrace this era of cinematic super-people (arguably P.J.'s adaptations, especially his elvish shenanigans, are influenced by them), but mostly they leave me cold. I enjoyed Avengers through the lens of being an old Whedon fan, but even the latest one just sort of clanked away by the end of its busy CGI climax. I sort of miss the frail human-sized (and hobbit-sized) heroes of yesteryear. Which only goes to show, different strokes for different folks.
I'm not a big fan of CGI myself. I think it's come to be an attraction in itself, with filmmakers vying to see how pretty they can make things look, at the expense of meaningful character and story development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
To the point of the thread: I am, elf-like, both sad and -- well, I can't say elated, maybe relieved is a better word -- that the films are now complete. Yes, it was basically all down hill after the (arguably!) middling watermark set by FotR EE, but even so. For a while there practically the whole world dreamed a dream of Middle-earth, and it was kind of beautiful. If truly irredeemable Hobbit films are the price I had to pay for the years of friendships and fun I've been able to enjoy here, then I came out on the rich end of that exchange for sure.
Though I will never embrace Jackson's Tolkien efforts, I agree that at least the FOTR films, like I said earlier, were good for some rip-roarin', fun debates. I remember those days with fondness, Mister U.
It's that much more unfortunate that the Hobbit movies can't even seem to manage that.