Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Very interesting. I had never thought of comparing Eomer and Boromir in that context before. Do you think Eomer would have had such an understanding? From what he says I am not sure he does. From his relatively more “comfortable” situation regarding the Ring, I think he is able to follow the “lower” impulse of supporting his friends.
That's what I mean, that Éomer was accepting of his limited understanding of the "deep matters". Boromir was not, my suggestion being that his higher birth, although no longer granting him wisdom, did give rise to pride, belief that he did understand when in fact he did not. Boromir could not accept the word of Gandalf; I realise circumstances are different because he had actually been in the presence of the Ring, but I nonetheless think his behaviour reflects a refusal to admit his own place. While many characters are tempted by the Ring in the story, those who refuse have often had the time and experience that Boromir did not to learn that there was no hope in the use of the Ring.
It's interesting to note that Saruman, who never saw nor was ever in the presence of the Ring, also fell prey to its temptations, although perhaps being a being of "higher" stature this was more of a threat.
Quote:
Do you think this is a point Tolkien intended to convey?
I'm largely skeptical of ascribing any intentionality to themes which may be present in Professor Tolkien's work; I'm very much an "applicability" supporter.