View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #111
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
i was going by Azealia's account of votes, i'm lazy alright
Lazy by Day and fuzzy by Night, eh?

Some thoughts on the subject of the phantom.

His plan to make a deal with the Bear inclined me to think him innocent for most of yester-Day. As he said himself, it was something that was bound to attract suspicion (although he showed himself capable of dealing with that) and might have prompted the Seer to dream of him. A Bear would certainly be looking to do neither of those things, and it seemed to me that a Wolf would be unlikely to act in that way too.

But then, what does he do at the end of the Day? He invites the Seer to dream about him. Such a statement, it seems to me, actually makes it less likely that the Seer will dream of him. The Seer is unlikely to welcome being told what to do (that’s certainly the way I would feel). What’s more, the whole tenor of what the phantom is saying here is directed towards reassuring everyone (including the Seer) of his innocence. He even makes so bold as to point out that most people think him innocent (which seems to me to be somewhat over-stating the case). While, on the face of it, he is suggesting that the Seer dreams of him, the underlying message is that it would be a wasted dream, not least because (so he says) he might die over-Night.

He also asks the Ranger to guard him. This seems to me to be rather selfish. There are others who are more deserving of the Ranger’s protection, not least the Seer (and the phantom makes it quite clear that he is not the Seer). If the phantom is merely an ordinary villager, as he claims, why should he be any more deserving of the Ranger’s services than the rest of us? Of course, if he’s a Wolf, it serves his interests to ask the Ranger to protect him because that means that the Ranger will not be protecting someone who is innocent.

Added to that is the phantom’s failure to vote. Although he attempted to explain why he might not be voting, he is surely intelligent enough to have realised that Bergil was most unlikely to be a Wolf and that, by lynching him, we would learn very little. Why did he not, like me, step in and attempt to save Bergil from the noose? And why was he very careful yester-Day not to give anything away as to who he might be suspecting?

In light of all this, the phantom is beginning to look rather suspicious, if you ask me.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-05-2005 at 07:12 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote