View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #234
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Searching for herbs

In the room, Bingo and the young hobbit maid lay the man out on the bed, and Bingo studied the drunkard with deep concern. "I confess," he said at last, "that I do not know how to keep him here if he tries to leave. He matches me for strength... no, he excels in me in strength. He is one of the Big Folk and besides that I am not very strong." He leaned against the headstand of the bed, staring down at the man and thinking deeply. Time went on. The hobbit maid stood uncertainly by, wondering if she should go or if he wanted her help. At last he nodded, slowly, and then a little smile came to his face. "I think it might work." He turned to the hobbit maid. "Excuse me, please, but would you tell me your name?"

"My name is Ruby Brown," said she.

He gave that queer little bow he was so apt to give. "And mine is Bingo Cotton, at your service. I am most pleased to meet you." He paused, took a breath, and was about to continue on the original subject when he saw the cup of tea in her hand. "What is that?" he asked.

"One of our patrons, Alwin, gave it for this man," she said. "He said it will help the aching head he will most certainly have."

"That's good," said Bingo, "but there is something else we need. I have to leave for a little while now. You can leave too, but please lock the door behind you, and might I have the key?" He led her to the door and had her lock it before acquiring the key. "Thank you very much," he said. "I must speak to Master Alwin."

When they reached the Common Room Ruby pointed out Alwin to Bingo and he approached him. He bowed when he was sure he had his attention, saying, "Master Alwin, my name is Bingo Cotton. You gave Miss Brown some herbs to help that man's headache. Seeing that you have herbs and I do not, I wondered if you would be so kind as to inform me if you have any herbs that would quiet the man down a bit? At the moment he seems quite disposed to jump up and sing and talk loudly and I will have difficulties watching after him, seeing as he is one of the Big Folk and I am but a weak little hobbit."