View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #56
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
About the making of the Nauglamír in Menegroth: As our story goes Thingol explicitly ask the Dwarves to make for him a necklace 'whereon to hang the Silmaril' [see the end of RD-EX-29]. In this part our story line was strictly based on Q30, therefore the two waves of smith work by the dwarves was rejected by intention. We might reinstall it, but as Thingol already gave the task of making the Nauglamír to the Dwraves I don’t think the conversation can stand as Arcus Calion gave it.
The naming of the necklace Comes in the Moment when Thingol wears it for the first time only one § later. For me that is a fitting place to give the Name. By the way, any reader will guess that name at once since the title of the chapter gives it away.
You're right; I didn't review our text sufficiently. I think the two phases of smithying could be retained (i.e. I don't think it's necessarily contradicted by more authoritative sources), but I don't think it has to be. So I'm fine with staying with the version we have.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote