View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
This is of course the key point: regardless of how fun the Gandalf-Vala notion is, Tolkien was both clear and consistent that he wasn't.

Somewhere in Tolkien's files there is the most amazing sheet of paper. In UT, Christopher says 'On the reverse of the isolated page containing the narrative of the choice of the Istari by the Valar appears the following very remarkable note', and then gives the text I've used for my 'Gandalf cult' theory'. The 'narrative of the choice' is summarised earlier, and says this:

I think you already noticed this, but that's Olorin speaking directly to Manwe. The trouble with your idea that Olorin isn't Gandalf, is that Olorin only exists in the narrative to be Gandalf. He's not a pre-existing character who was later equated with him - the name was first written down in LotR itself, and every other version is an attempt to explain it.

^_^ I wouldn't actually be averse to typing these quotes out, but I Don't Have My Books On Me(TM), so it's easier to find a copy online. Simply Googling 'Unfinished Tales text' usually pops something up.

hS

Yes it appears my conspiracy might not pan out very well. I refuse to give in so easy, more reading is needed.

As for manwe speaking to Olorin, that is ok with at least one possibility offered, that Manwe took his name as a incognito.