View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
What do we Know About Radagast?

My interest in the Istari continues.

“a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue... and he has much lore of herbs and beats” a “friend of all beats and birds”
-Gandalf

“indeed, of all the istari, one only remained faithful.... for Radgast, the fourth, become envenomed of the many beast and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook elves, men and spent his days among the wild creatures.”
-Unfinished tales The Istari

Radagast lived in western mirkwood and did not travel much. A “worthy wizard” and as Beorn described him “not bad” for a wizard is presented as an wizard who fell in love with nature so much that he turned from his mission. He is perhaps Tolkiens view of a normal powered istari to counter the better known Olorin “Wisest of the maiar” [Gandalf] and Saurman the leader of the order. He is presented as having much less wisdom and power than Gandalf and Saruman.

“Radagast is presented as a person of much less power and wisdom”
-Unfinished Tales

Saruman in particular seems to disregard radagast as a much lower being and uses his intellectual advantage into tricking him into helping Saruman capture Gandalf.

Radagast the simple, Radagast the fool, yet he had just the wit to play the part that I set him”
-Sarumon

But what else do we really know about him?

Last edited by R.R.J Tolkien; 01-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
R.R.J Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote