View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
And it indeed was as Beleg said: for it came that Morgoth resolved that the Orcs alone would not serve him in this case, as he needed to discover the hideout of Gaurwaith first. And he called forth the werewolves, fell beasts inhabited by dreadful spirits, and sent them across Anfauglith to the marshes of Serech, and then down through the land between Sirion and Malduin. And when they reached the Crossings of Teiglin, they took upon themselves the forms of Men, and in secret, unknown, they joined the scattered bands wandering in the woods.

Two of these beasts were now among the men heading towards Amon Rûdh. And when the company reached the hill, sun was setting; and Túrin was standing at the hilltop, watching the company as they passed silently. And suddenly he gave out a cry, but was silenced by Beleg, who once again appeared behind him.
"What is it?" whispered Beleg, as last of the company passed. And Túrin said: "I ordered eight men to come. But nine they entered the hill!"
And Beleg answered: "Does your heart not know the answer? There went rumour among the men in the camps about a young woman they encountered in these lands. She is Nienor, your sister. She was searching for you, but shortly after you sent the call, she disappeared."
Túrin's eyes widened. "My sister? So do you say she is here?" And he turned to follow the company, but Beleg stopped him.
"And what if," Beleg said, "there are some who wish to harm you, as I said? Is not your sister in danger as well?"
Then for a moment it seemed to Beleg as if he saw a glimpse of fear in Túrin's eyes. "But what should I do then?"
And Beleg answered: "Now you ask me for a counsel? But I will give you one: hide your helm and conceal your heritage, as you did before. These men recognize the Dragon Helm, but they know not your face. And if there are indeed some who seek to harm you, they will at least not know whom to focus on. Only then you, and your sister, are safe."
Now Túrin, not because of fear for his life, but for his sister, took off the Dragon Helm and covered his face with hood; and unknown he and Beleg joined the ranks of the newcomers. And when the company entered the hill, Mîm the Dwarf and Ibun his son came out and welcomed the outlaws.
"New friends have come to the halls of Amon Rûdh? Mîm welcomes everyone in his house gladly," said the old Dwarf, observing the newcomers closely. And a fair man among the Outlaws, clothed in blue-hued cape, turned to him and spoke: "Where is the bearer of the Helm of Hador? I come a long way to see my rightful master." But another man, standing nearby in the crowd, said: "Why should we care? He will surely come when he wants to speak with us."
Then some of the outlaws looked around, and there was question in their eyes. But at last there came a voice heard from further end of the hall, and all the men and women turned around; but what they saw was not the Dragon Helm of Dor-Lómin. And there stood a man tall and strong, but dressed in with worn-out clothes and with a smirk on his face. And he spoke to Mîm, though he was not looking in the Dwarf's face, and there was contempt to be heard in his voice: "We care not of Dwarven greetings. This day was long and we are tired enough to listen to blethering of old dwarf-kin, nor to look for a man who called us here but has surely important matters at hand than welcome us himself. But let us go to sleep now, as we have a long journey behind and are in need of a rest."
"Surely," said Mîm with a glimpse of smile on his face, "I will not trouble your sleep. Mîm will go to his room and work a little. But the Men may rest wherever they find space."
So every man found his place to rest, some in the chambers opening out of the halls, some even in passages between them, and all fell asleep. Silence fell on the mountain and its many halls. And as the pale full moon rose above Doriath in the east and its white shine lightened the crown of Amon Rûdh, the two werewolves rose from their sleeping places and came together in an empty hall, and with low voices they started to talk about their plans...

These are the names of the inhabitants of Amon Rûdh at that time:

Mîm the Petty Dwarf
Ibun his son
Rikae
Shastanis Althreduin
Nogrod
Macalaure
Isabellkya
Brinniel
Lhunardawen
xyzzy
Gil-Galad
the guy who be short
Mithalwen

Night 1
has begun. Wolves, you may start PMing and talk your plans. Túrin and Beleg, you may do so as well. Others, wait for dawn.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote