View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I should, perhaps, clarify that there's a fair amount of evidence for what JRRT intended the Silmarillion to look like, but too many people are willing to make sweeping claims for a 'true' version and that can lead down unedifying cul-de-sacs. At best, and for purely personal interest, you could put together a Silmarillion, but it it would be presumptuous to call it definitive. Even CRT wasn't completely satisfied with his treatment, having grown up with the stories and having had many opportunities to discuss them with their author. That's the reason to exercise caution.

Having said that, I'm very much in agreement with Huinesoron on the general structure intended by JRRT. It's a shame that the verse treatments are incomplete and from an earlier stage of revision, but it seems fairly clear that they were intended as self-contained compositions. The structure of the annals would break up a narrative, and the various essays and philosophical considerations are more commentaries on the Silmarillion than part of the thing itself.

In the end, though, I think it best to appreciate each work on its own merits. I find it entertaining to imagine them as fragmentary pieces from the same culture, embodying divergent traditions and forms.