View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 01:26 AM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Estelyn's character: (Finduilas/Dol Amroth Group)

NAME: Diorwyn

RACE: human

WEAPONS: needles and scissors

APPEARANCE: Diorwyn is 5’3” tall, has dark hair with a few grey threads, dark grey eyes, nimble hands and a trim figure in which she secretly takes pride, always dressing well, though unobtrusively.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Diorwyn may seem garrulous at first glance, but those who look more closely notice her shrewd, observant eyes. She thinks more than she says (which is saying a lot!) and usually keeps to the background, not being noticed much. Her tendency to fuss over details makes her an excellent seamstress, whose dresses become their wearers well.

HISTORY: Diorwyn is a seamstress in Dol Amroth, highly sought after by the ladies of the court, especially Finduilas. Since her mother came from Minas Tirith before marrying her father, a military officer of Dol Amroth who had served in the White City for some time, Diorwyn has relatives there. Not only does she visit them often enough to keep up with the stylish trends of big city fashions, she learned her trade there as an apprentice. She is happy to accompany Finduilas to put the finishing touches on the almost complete wedding gown and other dresses, though it means being parted from her husband and three almost-grown children for that time.

Estelyn's post:

Diorwyn’s dark hair and the folds of her soft grey dress blended with the shadows of the drapery in the hall. Though not likely to be noticed in the colourful throng of noble guests, she had an excellent view of the Steward, his family and the newcomers from Dol Amroth. Her critical eyes observed Finduilas, the designated bride, noting every detail of her perfect appearance. With a tiny sigh of relief, she turned her head to look at the dresses of the other ladies present.

“She’s beautiful,” a low voice beside her said, “and she does her seamstress honour.”

“Gwinniel!” Diorwyn exclaimed softly. “I might have known that you would be here. Nothing escapes your attention, as always.”

The lips of the white-haired woman curved upwards ever so slightly in greeting. “It appears that the princess has chosen wisely; your skill has improved even since I last saw you. I am pleased that you have come to the White City after a long absence. But tell me, how does your family? They must miss you sorely!”

“As I do them,” the younger woman answered. “Ciryandil said that they would fare well without help, but his sister lives nearby and is looking after them when needed. Our eldest spends all day at the wharves with his father, learning the shipbuilding trade. The two younger ones are still in school, though they think that they would rather be grown up already.”

“Good, good.” Gwinniel’s reply was rather preoccupied, for her gaze rested on the gown of Finduilas again. “The colour and style become her well,” she said approvingly. “You have changed the prevailing fashion in some details; now, how did you…”

The two women drifted off into a low conversation on cuts, trimmings, fabrics and figures, and if some of the ladies had heard their caustic comments, they would have fled the hall immediately to change their garments…

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]