View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 12:09 AM   #113
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But I do not think it matters whether I personally know him or not. I'm just swearing at him in context of his job, not he himself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Swearing is sometimes an integral part of expressing ourselves, but swearing heavily on this forum goes against its climate and image. And while you have a right to be displeased with Peter Jackson, please rememberer that he is not a caterer to you, nor to me, not even, in many ways, to Tolkien. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm not saying that they have to read it, its just that they should have more respect for them since, after all, there would be no movie without the book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>"Respect" by itself is a very vague term. Are you perhaps jealous that Peter Jackson's star will eclipse Tolkien's? For some people, maybe so. But why worry yourself over "some people"?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And they shouldn't take the movie as the bible of Tolkien.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oftentimes people see a movie to have a bit of fun. "TTT" is perfect for that. Every once in a while this fun will translate into a deeper interest, in which case the literature might be taken up. That's what happened to me last December. I saw the movie, thought it very cool, and decided to read up on those Hobbits and Elves and big blood-shot eyes. But if I hadn't, it would not necessarily mean that I would automatically assume Peter Jackson's interpretation to be "the bible." How can a movie be "a bible" anyway? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I also have every right to be furious at those types though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fury is not very productive, is it? It just makes everyone tired in the end. I hate to see the Movie forum dissolve into a complaining contest over the next month, especially if the complaining is not even entertaining. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyone can enjoy the movie but they should have some respect for the books.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Who says they don't? Nowhere in today's media have I so far read a comment such as "the movies improved on an otherwise boring/stupid/slow/convoluted/etc. story." I do not doubt that thought has crossed somebody's mind, but I think that sitting here and making each other upset over this is making Tolkien readers look like a bunch of reactionary dweebs. We have the right to gripe at the changes, but let's do it in a manner that makes for fun discourse, not "ooh I hate you forever PJ!"