View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Lalaith, think perhaps you are being a bit overharsh on the Elves of the Third Age. Though they apply themselves as a race very little to the other peoples of Middle Earth, at least openly, they are still (for the most part) open and warm to those that they cross. The race was waning, the Elves themselves knew it. They no longer had the power or the people to afford the luxury of being able to aid and meddle with other races. I see how this can be percieved as aloofness, but I just feel that the race as it was in the Third Age, was in no position to really get involved in the doing of the other Peoples. From the experiences, especially in the First and early Second ages, they realised that this involvement often lead the race to become enthralled in troubles. The whole of the First Age was one turmoil followed by another for the Elves, and their quest to help in the Second Age was a disaster - they were again decieved.

I conclude that rather than becoming arrogant, the race had merely become very conservative and careful - they (probably unwittingly) figured that if they kept themselves to themselves and didn't stick their necks on the block, then they wouldn't get into the same sort of trouble as they were frequently in during the first two ages. Also, the knowledge that the contributions they could make would be minute due to their diminishing power and populations would have been another reason to keep themselves to themselves.

The Elves were not arrogant (well, come on they were, but not completely!) but were rather experiencing a period of harsh self-preservation. You forget, the three Elven kingdoms that still remained, still sent aid when needed... Battle of Five Armies etc.

Also, as far as the other ages went, the Third Age, for the most part, was the most uneventful - apart from some key events, it was mostly empty... this would also be another fact to consider.

I hate to have just typed what I have typed, as the race of Elves annoys me quite a lot, but I had to put aside my contempt and write what I saw.

Regards to all, especially Lalaith and Mr. Bombadil!!