View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #15
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
The more I understand about what works in movies and what doesn't (and I am an almost complete novice), the more I appreciate Peter Jackson's LOTR phenomenon.

In fact, although I still don't like it, I am beginning to understand why Faramir was weakened, why Frodo told Sam to go home, why the Scouring of the Shire wasn't included, why Tom Bombadil got left out. OK, I guess I already knew that last one. No offense, Bombadil fans...

No, these movies were not perfect. Yes, they changed the books. Yes, they had events and even characters in them that are not kosher Tolkien, so to speak. The whole sequence of events at the Entmoot still drives me nuts, as do Aragorn's falling-off-the-cliff adventures, etc. But these were three incredible movies, three of THE best movies in the last few years, if not the best.

Hats off to Peter Jackson! Sir, you have created three films of huge depth and beauty, and throughout you have remained faithful to the spirit, if not always the letter, of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic! He might not thank you for your work, but I do. For heaven's sakes, yes, make The Hobbit!

P.S. I'm still mad over the "He's twitching..." line!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote