View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 11:00 AM   #18
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the reason that they would die would not be because they were forced to, and that they could carry on living if they felt like it, but they would not, since, being mortal, they would tire of the world and give up their life of their own free will. This is not quite the same as men, as they become weary, but some, fearing death can choose not to give up life, but eventually death will take them.

It is said (somewhere [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) that even the Valar will become weary of the world and envy the gifts of men. To be hounist I am very happy with Burrahobbit's (well Tolkien') answer, as it means that the Ringbearers gained the bliss and long life of the elves without loosing the Gift of Eru (death). I supose this is how Tolkein rewarded them for all the nasty things he put them through.

Burrahobbit I like to put lots of examples and descriptions in my posts, as they are the kind of posts I like to read. Every man to their own.