View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #65
Brian Sibley
Haunting Spirit

Brian Sibley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
I have to admit that Smith is the only one of the four adaptations I don't really get on with. Its not the script, & I like the actors (Paul Copley I've loved since I heard him reading reading from Pilgrim's Progress on tv many years ago, & I think James Grout was also involved as Nokes??), but somehow it just wasn't Smith for me. Of course Pauline Baynes illustrations are integral to the story & thankfully the latest edition, edited by Verlyn Flieger reinstates them. There is an edition of Tolkien's short stories, including Smith, Niggle, Giles, Roverandom & the Bombadil verses out later this year (with a new cover painting by Alan Lee apparently) which I'm hoping will also include the Baynes illustrations.
I hope so to, there has been an increasing attempt to 'hide' the Baynes illustrations (all the paperback covers are now by other artists) which is stupid because they ARE the picture for the books - just E H Shepard's illustrations to 'Winnie-the-Pooh' are THE only likenesses of Pooh & Co that matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Just a quick one - the transcripts I'm linking to for the series - are they entirely legal? If not I can remove the links to them too. I'm now ever so slightly paranioid about this stuff....
They're probably not strictly legal, but it's a rather different situation to the downloads of the actual programmes, since they are not competing with any published book. I don't think anyone is likely to be too bothered - unless someone started printing them out and selling them... So I really wouldn't worry!
Brian Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote