View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
The point is that whether or not Isildur could realistically use the Ring is irrelevant. He could no more bear to leave it on the battlefield or allow it to be destroyed than Sméagol could bear to let Déagol keep it. He wanted the Ring; whether or not it would be of any use to him did not signify.
I do think it is relevant as not only it IS the topic of this thread, but we also see Boromir wanting to use it therefore the question was "would he be able to do something with it besides just disapearing?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaucepanMan
Don't forget also that the Nine Rings gave the Men who became the Nazgul great power, wealth and sorcery, while ultimately binding them to Sauron's will. If the Nine could do that, then the One could surely bestow even greater power.
And I have to agree with this.

But also we get
Quote:
The ring had given him power according to his stature.
Therefore, I agree that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I think a human could use the ring to summon a big enough army to his "side" to drive off Mordor and defeat Sauron. However, as Tolkien tells us in Letter 246, no mortal (not even Aragorn) could hope of using the Ring against Sauron, one-on-one. And the only person who may be expected to do so successfully would be Gandalf
The Ring is still giving them power according to their stature, yet it is also increasing this same 'stature'. I would believe that, should someone be able to hold on to the Ring, use it and avoid meeting Sauron head-on at once, they would become more powerful than Sauron himself (by gaining mastery of the Ring). But in order to gain mastery of the ring they would have to become so corrupted that they'd be just another Sauron.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote