View Single Post
Old 01-24-2001, 07:38 PM   #18
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Imladris

Lindil the quote about 'especially Elrond' is in Letter 246. It is quite intriguing.

Lindil/Gwaihir
Re: 'Greatness being synonomous with power/might' and 'power/might whats the difference' (re greatness).
First Elrond and Galadriel are not really of the same race. Galadriel is fully Eldarin, Elrond is Peredhil has the blood of three races: the Eldar, Edain and Maiar. They are also not quite of the same House. Elrond preferred to reckon his lineage to Elwe, not Finwe.
However 'greatness/power/might' all depends on your definition of them and what they entail. Lets look at it this way. How was Galadriel the 'greatest' or 'most powerful'? Did she command huge armies? No. Obviously not militarily. Was she the best warrior? No, I think Fingolfin was the greatest warrior of the Noldor. Certainly Fingon, Gil-galad, Elrond, Feanor, Finrod etc were all better warriors. Was she the best craftsman? No, Feanor, Celebrimbor, Enerdhil and others were better. Was she the wisest? Well she was wiser than Feanor, but Cirdan saw further and deeper than anyone else of Middle-earth, Elrond was the 'loremaster', I _think_ Finarfin is accounted the wisest of the Noldor. Is she the greatest bard? No Maglor and Daeron both have her beat. The greatest healer? No, that would be Elrond. Obviously when JRRT calls her 'greatest' of the Noldor he means something other than just 'physical' (or 'magical') attributes. (And by the way JRRT also calls Luthien Tinuviel greatest of the Eldar, greater even than Feanor and Galadriel (and I agree with him), but how was she greater than either of these?, there is also an instance of him calling Earendil the greatest and one of Thingol being called the greatest but the same question can be asked, how was that individual the greatest?).

Gwaihir:
I dont think that any sort of 'overhead' attack would have to be worried about. Any one attempting to jump down into the valley would be dead from the fall, if that were even possible. It seems to be 'readily' approachable from one direction only.

Taimar:
Your interpretation of 'wisdom not weapons' is likely correct. I also agree with your statemen of Elrond's 'greatness' vis-vis Aragorn and Glorfindel, although as I was pointing out to Lindil and Gwaihir the query is 'how was he greater?' Greatness (and power) is relative.
However I disagree regarding the Rings. I have seen a number of times wherein people put forth the theory that the Three are especially connected with an Element (Air, Water, Fire). But JRRT does not describe them as have any particular power regarding these Elements. He says that they are orimarily intended to prevent decay (slow time), they increase the wearers native power they do _not_ render the wearer invisible. About the closest that I recall an 'Elemental power' even being remotely implied is Cirdan giving Gandalf Narya and saying that it might aid him in 'kindling hearts to action' or something like that, I misremeber where the quote is.

Durelen:
When asked by Frodo, Gandalf says that &quot;Elrond commanded it... The river of this valley is under his power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need to bar the ford.&quot;

Glorfindel _may_ be older than Galadriel. Galadriel never slew a Balrog (as far as we know Galadriel was never in any battle except at Alqualonde). Does this make Glorfindel more powerful than Galadriel? Now (to be fair) JRRT does imply that when Glorfindel was 'reincarnated' in an almost 'angelic' and in power near equal to the Maiar. Of course Elrond was closely descended from the Maiar himself. And Glorfindel served Elrond.

Tar-Elenion The High Elves had been in the hands of the gods praising and adoring Eru 'the One', Iluvatar the Father of All on the Mountain of Aman</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000211>Tar Elenion</A> at: 1/24/01 10:22:47 pm