View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #49
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So, random thoughts about this chapter:

1. The Narrator tells us the Bucklanders were no different from the folk of the Shire except in their relationship to boats and swimming. This seems quite contradictory with other parts of their introduction - Buckland seems a lot more hierarchial than say Hobbiton and its surroundings, and the Bucklanders seem more conscious of their own history and the outside world too.

2. Maybe the contrast between Buckland and the old Shire is so strong also because we are introduced to them under entirely different circumstances. We first come to Hobbiton on a beautiful day and celebrate a birthday party. Buckland, on the other hand, we arrive to in the dark, on the run, chased by the Black Riders. I bet Hobbiton would seem a little creepy too if we only saw it after sunset with the Nazgűl on our tail.

3. Random note: I always felt for Frodo very much when he feels sorry he's not actually moving to Crickhollow and that his friends went through so much trouble to make it home. This is of course alleviated later in the chapter when it turns out Frodo's friends know exactly what's going on.

4. Can't quote now, but Merry speaks as if Crickhollow was not to be just Frodo's new home but rather some sort of a bachelor commune. Seriously, three bathtubs?

5. I love this chapter as a portrayal of (and an ode to?) friendship. I bet there's a lot of discussion of that on his thread already and I don't feel like I have anything interesting to add - just, the Conspiracy getting unmasked always warms my heart very much, and I always related to poor Frodo in this chapter.

6. In Three Is Company, I pointed out Pippin's attitude towards Sam - jovial, teasing and a little patronizing. It goes on here, and I'm not entirely sure I like it. Sam never reacts to Pippin's quips in any way, which makes me think he's not entirely comfortable with them.

7. Is there a separate thread for Frodo's dreams? I hope so, because they are very fascinating.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote