View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 11:48 PM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
I think that this could help with the problem of the Balrogs.
I'm not sure I understand. How does the quoted passage relate to Balrogs? Maybe I'm just missing something - it is 1:30 in the morning.

The Balrog problem, though, has largely been solved as far as the actual text of FoG goes.

Quote:
Was this addressed at some point before? This certainly conflicts with the account that Turgons was the tallest of the elves save Thingol.
Very observant! Perhaps this we should delete 'tallest of the Gnomes' - unless anyone can think of a way to retain the description of him as 'tall' without violating the principles.

Quote:
I'm of the idea of replacing the "Mechanical Monsters" with dragons.
So am I. This is the biggest issue left to be resolved. I think we should probably deal with that separately, apart from these individual changes (it does have its own thread somewhere . . .)

Quote:
Is the concept of fire drake acceptable or are they just dragons.
This goes with the dragon matter.

Quote:
And thus it was that the [dragons] of Melkor came upon Gondolin.
Quote:
Again, I think that serpents can be changed to dragons.
Even if we make all the dragons normal Glaurung-types, I don't think we should eliminate the terms 'serpent' and 'fire-serpent'. Certainly dragons are serpent-like, and certainly at least some of them have powers of fire. 'Serpent' is no worse a synonym than 'wyrm'.

Quote:
dragons of iron scales as suggested elsewhere.
Dragon matter again; I agree with you on this, though.

Quote:
engines?
Probably seige engines rather than combustion engines (if I had to venture a guess).

Quote:
globlins of hatred? I know that the term is used in the Hobbit, but is it appropiate here?
In my opinion, it's very appropriate. 'Goblin' is, after all, used at least once or twice in LotR. I see nothing wrong with the word - in fact I rather like it as an alternate translation of yrch.

Quote:
wrench?
Well . . . apparently. I'm not sure on this, but if Tolkien wrote it, I don't see why we should change it.

Quote:
I can live with this but a balrog with a bow?
I would have used instead a hosts of orcs with bows. I can't imagine a balrog with a bow.
This is a matter of some difficulty. I don't have a huge problem with a Balrog shooting a bow, but I am having doubts about specifying that one was killed by Rog's men. I will give this thought.

Quote:
Men? I would replace by, now the host of Melko was assembled.
Hmm. You may be right.

Quote:
Is Echtelion to remain the fairest of the Noldor?
I don't see why not.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote