View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
What I find intriguing is why he asked Fingon to kill him when he could just have given up on his life himself long before Fingon came.
Maybe he couldn't just die like that. Firstly, he did not lose the desire to live. He only couldn't stand to hang there for more time. Secondly, I believe he only asked Fingon to shoot him when Fingon realised that there's no other way that he could help Maedhros (something thay doubtless Maedhros figured out a long time ago). He only gave up on life when all hope was lost (as he understood it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
You're assuming, not that Hurin simply *wouldn't* starve (or die from exposure, for that matter), but rather that he *really* would, but the effect would be masked for the duration. I don't think it would have to work that way– that is, like a rubber band that snaps back all the way once released. I mean, there's examples of spells or whatever that do operate like that in various other things, but then– well, it's not like Middle-earth even *has* a formal, codified "magic system". So, who knows?
I must say that I don't really follow you here. Could you clarify please?