View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think one thing that concerns many people around here is that people had expectations with the LotR -movie, that it would be something great - not just one more blockbuster action movie with some comic relief added. In retrospect it is easy to see that you just should have guessed it: there is no high art coming from Hollywood, even if the screenwriters use a masterpiece as a basis (of deviation) for their storyboard.

I know many people differ on how they see the LotR-trilogy here. But many of even those who kind of liked the LotR by PJ are now facing a new situation when the Hobbit seems to be nothing more than yet one more "Avengers" or "Spider Man" or "Star Trek": an exploitation of older popular material built to maximise the income of the studios by following the lowest common denominators of their marketing department's imagined teen-age audiences.

Which doesn't mean it can't be quite an eye-candy.

I'm taking the optimist's route then. It maybe Hollywood doesn't know any more how to tell a story or to build interesting and deep characters (or they are not interested in those things any more) but they sure know how to make things look breath-takingly good and epic.

Kind of a larger image of our world today: we may have nothing inside, but darn we look good!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote