View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphen Silverhair
I said clearly that I dislike about the same things that most dislike about the new Trailer and about AUJ.
But I'm not hating on principle everything PJ and his Team have come up with.
Might some of us not be criticising this trailer for perfectly legitimate reasons? I mean, Arphen, it seems you largely agree about what’s wrong with it– it’s just that you think we should ignore that and focus on what’s positive. Okay, in a way that’s a pretty good attitude– but the thing is, when most of what’s shown in a trailer is CGI-heavy action scenes, then the quality of both CGI and action becomes rather relevant. Plus, what there is of dialogue sounds awfully trite to me. So– what’s left? I just don’t think “scenery” is enough to swing it. (“Acting” is a moot point– it’s a good cast, but we’re not actually seeing much of what they’re capable of here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Which doesn't mean it can't be quite an eye-candy.

I'm taking the optimist's route then. It maybe Hollywood doesn't know any more how to tell a story or to build interesting and deep characters (or they are not interested in those things any more) but they sure know how to make things look breath-takingly good and epic.
They do... but that doesn’t mean they always succeed... I mean, honestly, this doesn’t even look good– in fact, that’s largely what we’ve been talking about.

Besides, I think you’re making a lot of sweeping generalisations here. Hollywood is what it always was– i.e. mainly about profit, but quality films can and do get made. And believe me, I can appreciate a decent blockbuster/popcorn film, and enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn't. That doesn’t mean one has to be completely uncritical all the time.