View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #411
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

"And I have wondered for days now how to tell you that I wished to go with you to your father to ask for your hand, and to win him over to returning to Edoras with us, so that he can live with us and thrive there. Do you think he might think well on it?"

Leafa did not answer at once. Ędegard looked into her eyes hopefully, and she did not look away but returned his gaze. At last she said, "I do not know. But it would give me joy to ride with you to my father and ask him."

"When this quest is over, we shall do that. Now we must not delay the others any longer." They kissed again, only quickly this time, and he walked Leafa to her horse and helped her up, then mounted his own again. The humans urged their horses to a gallop, and soon had caught up to the Elves and Amroth. Bella was irrepressible.

"Amroth! Amroth! Ędegard and Leafa are to be married!"

Amroth and the Elves turned in wonder. "What knews is this?" Amroth asked.

"It is true! Ędegard just sued for her hand in marriage, and she has given him her hand!"

Amroth looked at the two who had become betrothed with a faint smile on his face. They had ridden up behind Bella and were now holding hands across the space between their horses, beaming.

"I wish you good health and a long life together, Ędegard and Leafa."

"Thank you, Amroth," they said almost in unison

Nethador had been watching all that had taken place between the two betrothed, his eyes darting to Bella time and again. He rode up to Amroth and stared at him. Ędegard had seen him do this before, and it always seemed as if the boy came away from these stare downs calmed or quieted, while Amroth was afterward seen to smile, as though relieved from the hardship of his dreams. This time Amroth laughed.

"Yes, Nethador, it was sudden! Two days? Four? But they are both Rohirrim and their minds and bodies are much alike. You are not so lucky. Give it more time."

Nethador glanced at Bella and hung his head. Bella heard, and saw, and turned crimson. She quickly turned her horse away and stared off at the western horizon as if something there was of keen interest. Ędegard saw nothing and wondered what she saw.

Liornung laughed aloud and began singing one of his songs. Amroth urged the party to continue south. Between then and the sun's height, they covered much ground.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-04-2004 at 02:46 PM.