View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
So is there anyone who wants to argue in defense of Jackson's handling of Gollum/Sméagol in terms of the split personality? (Elempi is itching for a good debate, can you tell?)
Can't say that I'll provide good debate, but from a novice point of view (alatar pretends to never have read the Books before seeing RotK), I think that Peter Jackson was showing the anguish of the murder of Deagol in Smeagol/Gollum. From what I viewed, Smeagol was just an ordinary hobbit that just so happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure, he could have used some sun and cucumber slices on the eyes, but he had friend, and that seemed like a sign of good character.

So in the heat of the moment he kills Deagol. Think that a good loyer could get him off with time served. It was the Ring, not he, that compelled the deed. Note that bringing Sauron to the stand to verify the power of the Ring may be interesting, but even Gandalf said that the Ring had a mind of its own and was evil.

So Smeagol, in what started as a simple case of misunderstanding, ends up killing Deagol, and by the time they wrestled on the ground, Smeagol acted in self defense as there was no way he was leaving that glade with knowledge of the Ring.

So he leaves everything behind and punishes himself with a self-imposed banishment, and his outward appearance reflects his guilt, shame and remorse. He's so distraught over the deed that he develops a split personality that allows Smeagol to function - Gollum is the bad guy who wanted the Ring and murdered Deagol, not Smeagol, and this is the way he lives, alone, keeping the killer Gollum away from everyone - except fish.

A few hundred years later, S/G is robbed by Bilbo Baggins ("Hey, I found your Ring on your lawn. Let's play a game so you can have a slim chance of getting your property back.") Smeagol tries to find the Ringstealer and ends up in Mordor - where else would someone with that evil Ring go? This torture furthers his split personality, as it allows him to deal with the pain (see the pattern?). From Mordor Gollum emerges dominant and so pursues Frodo. Frodo, after initially harming Gollum (see how Sam drags the creature) shows him some kindness, and this sign of love brings Smeagol to the fore.

The debate where Smeagol wins shows that with Frodo's acts of kindness, Smeagol was ready to reenter society and help this 'Deagol' with the Ring. It's not until Faramir and his boys mercilessly beat the small wretch does Gollum come back yet again. It's not an internal struggle but the outside world that brings on the G.

After that, as I've said, everyone is fair game. Even so, Smeagol still struggles with acquiring the Ring, harming Frodo and potting down Gollum. It could even be said that Gollum did not intend Shelob to kill Frodo - if Gollum could pass through her lair without harm, why not the hobbit with which he identified?

In the end, S/G just wants the Ring back. Does he fear Deagolling Frodo, and so if Gollum reclaims the Ring, he can yet again keep it secret and keep it safe? When he gets it, Smeagol comes back, happy for a moment, then it's a fall into lava, bringing healing to this poor creature.

PJ's Gollum is more sympathetic. The evil creature comes when the world calls it, not when Smeagol wills it, and as far as we know, there's only the blood of Deagol and fish on the creature's hands.