Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Interesting, I like that interpretation. And davem talking about Frodo's 'writhing' reminded me of Boromir's own struggle with the Ring. And I think Boromir's situation is much like Gollum's, only Boromir's impulses are a bit different.
I can't see Boromir's situation at all like Gollum's, excluding the fact that they both wanted the Ring. Their situation is entirely different, with completely different motives. Boromir also repents in the end, and Gollum as we know fails and falls.

Boromir's flaw of pride is entirely different. He was a warrior. Fighting for Minas Tirith is what Boromir lived for. He never commited murder in the sense that Gollum did, he was not shunned from his society as Gollum was in his younger days. Quite the opposite, Boromir was Gondor's "celebrity". Another huge difference- Gollum was a treacherous murderer, evil from the start. Boromir was never evil. The Ring tipped him to the edge, playing on his pride, his initial good intentions for his home. The Ring also played on Sam's intentions in just the same way, although Sam, obviously not having Boromir's way of life and status, was able to resist it. I also would not say that Boromir was "too weak"...his motives were just entirely different...the Ring played on him best.